Friday, April 28, 2006

Jazz Fest ?

New Orleans Gears Up for Jazz Fest

Wow! Bruce Springsteen, Fats Domino, Paul Simon even Bob Dylan. Nothing against any of these guys but......I didn't know they played Jazz?
I guess this gives new meaning to the New Orleans Jazz Festival website name: http://www.nojazzfest.com
Or maybe this is the new jazz...Jazz redefined maybe? This reminds me of some of the R&B singers from the 90's doing jazz festivals in the carribean. Granted, there's always been diversity at the jazz festivals as far back as I can recall [I even participated in bringing a diverse type of jazz to a jazz festival many times] but THIS is not making a lick of sense to hear 'Born To Run' after hearing 'What A Difference A Day Makes'...
This is like changing a Eb11 into a Cmajor triad!
But, hey, these guys are willing to put on a show for a city that's more or less stranded. I wouldn't refuse the help. Instead of rebranding Jazz as something for musicians who've had a career in another music genre how about calling this The Great Amercan Heritage Music Festival instead of completely wiping away a music heritage that has been steadily
diminishing.
Eh, I've ranted on enough about something I'm a small fraction of. What I'm in control of is passing on my own little musical legacy to the next generation by documenting it.
Now, how about that solo album uh, excuse me, solo CD that I've been slowly working on...?

3 Comments:

At 9:11 AM, Blogger Social Director of the Internet said...

Hey, I thought you were in charge of everything!!

Great post.

 
At 12:28 AM, Blogger xian said...

mang, it's the "Jazz & Heritage" festival... always been all kinds of music besides jazz there.

 
At 2:08 AM, Blogger george said...

Ah, yes, the "Jazz & Heritage" festival. I went to the website and sure enough it says The New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival. Now isn't that a rant deflater...At this point I'm just hoping Hilton Ruiz pulls through the life threatening beating he received down there. You hear of any news about his condition?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home